Monday, June 7, 2010

A Summer Job by Zach Nichols

In the summer of 2001 I had been teaching guitar at South Plains College in Levelland, Texas for a year (a school year that is). Although I worked a full-time schedule, I was considered a part-time employee (I guess state funded schools are able to make their own rules in a way). Being part-time meant that I would not continue to have income from the college during the summer unless I could teach during the summer. I needed income; believe me. Enrollment for the summer guitar classes started one day and at the end of that day it looked like it wasn't going to happen. There were no students enrolled and I was required to have ten credit hours worth of students enrolled for my lessons in order to qualify me to teach. Even the administrative people involved who had seen these kinds of things year after year were pretty much saying, "Sorry (it didn't work out) Zach... You'll find something for the summer".

That night was our weekly bible study at the "bachelor pad" on Pat street. We walked to a nearby park to have the study. Rocky Green lead the study and Joni Dobbins (now my wife) was there with her good friend Amanda. At the end we were praying and I mentioned that I was in need of a small miracle. I don't remember feeling full of faith or anything special... I just needed God's provision. So, we prayed about it and the next day I went in to the school and I had nine credit hours of students. That in itself was amazing, but was not enough. By the end of the day one last student signed up for a 1 credit hour lesson. God met my need perfectly. "Cast your cares on HIm, for He cares for you".

No comments:

Post a Comment