Monday, June 7, 2010

"Get Back in the Wagon" by Clark Elmore

As a 24 year old male, I knew everything...so I thought. It was because of my vast knowledge of the world that I had a history of ended romantic relationships, a son out of wedlock and an immense sense of confusion on what life might possibly bring the next day. I have been a christian since I was 11 years old and raised in and around churches since birth--my Pop is a minister. All of this being said for background purposes, I went over to my Pop's house and asked if we could talk. We went out to the back porch, pulled up some chairs and stared at the night sky in silence. He knew something was bothering me and finally asked "What's going on, Son?" and to his amazement, I began screeching quietly with a choked up voice that I was tired of living my life myself. He listened patiently and lovingly as only a parent can do when their child is blabbering uncontrollably. When I was finished, he took my hand and told me to "get back in the wagon." I looked at him quizically and he went on to explain. I had been living my life by trying to pull Christ around in my little red wagon, everywhere that I wanted to go just in case I might need him later. I needed to shut up and get in the wagon and let him do the pulling and the navigating that had eluded me for so long. We prayed together and I was overcome with the most awesome childlike feeling of not having any worries. A week after this inspirational meeting, I met my best friend, Melissa, whom I would marry a year later. God will let you live "your life", but don't expect too much out of it. Turn it all over to him and the beauty of life reaches out and embraces you fully and completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment